Chances are that the building you live in is about 100 years old. Much of the character of New York is attributed to its old world architecture. Unless a building has been completely outfitted with new plumbing, heating and cooling, walls, paint and flooring, the average New Yorker will have to deal with decaying infrastructure. In our world, old infrastructure translates to dampness and mold. You may notice an odd smell here and there. Something weird may be growing on the walls but you’re not quite sure. There’s always a puddle of dirty water near the basement on your way to the laundry room. If it looks like mold, acts like mold and smells like mold - it’s mold.
Sick Building Syndrome
The fact that you can’t keep you eyes open at your desk may have more to do with the building than the boring task in front of you. Sick building syndrome is a thing. It is literally a building that is polluted with carbon dioxide, mold and other contaminates that it makes its inhabitants sick. We all know that we spend more time at work than we do with our loved ones. Add that to the fact that printers, computers and copy machines are all emitting heat and low doses of toxic molecules. After the 1970’s natural building materials were often replaced with man-made petroleum based products that are high in VOC content. Add sealed windows to the mix and you’ve got a recipe for disaster.
Tricks of the Trade
When you are experiencing sick building syndrome or any other by product of mold infestation, we can remove the culprit from the premises. Don’t be alarmed when you see us arrive in Tyvek suits. This is necessary to keep our mold remediators safe. We always follow safety precautions which includes containing the area and wearing all the necessary equipment designed for safety. A HEPA vacuum is necessary to suck up the mold spores. If water is present we will use a WetVac to contain and remove it. Heat injectors and high volume air movers are used to dry the area and prevent more mold from accumulating. A biochemical compound is applied to remaining surfaces to kill any stubborn spores.
In some cases, it is possible to rid your home or office of mold without professional help. When the situation is extremely isolated and minute, surely you can don the appropriate protective gear, get some bleach and go to work. In our humble opinion, many people do themselves a disservice when they try to save money on the front end and wind up paying more on the back end. In other words, laymen may miss a step or two. Your eye is not trained for the tell-tale signs. Despite all the YouTube videos and Google research, experience is the real soothsayer.
Tell – Tale Signs
Before you contact us for mold remediation, you need to know what to look out for. In some cases, the culprit may not be mold, but in many cases it is. Keep an eye out for moisture. Do you feel it, smell it and taste it in the air? Is moisture accumulated in any particular place? If so, mold will form. Venture to those dark and musty areas of your home or office. That’s where mold likes to hide out, build and family and shack up. It’s musty for a reason – lead with your nose. Attics, basements, barely used closets, drawers and cupboards are ripe for mold.